In-Depth Study/200-Hour Teacher Training
Take the Journey
Designed for aspiring yoga teachers and/or yogis who seek to deepen their practice and knowledge through a structured curriculum, this yoga teacher training will support you in awakening your heart and living a more meaningful and empowered life of freedom and joy. Through immersion in the life-affirming teachings of Ashaya Yoga, you will transform your body, mind, and heart.
Why In-Depth Study
The curriculum of the Ashaya Yoga In-Depth Study and Yoga Teacher Training Program is rooted in the fundamentals of the practices of asana, pranayama, meditation, philosophy, and anatomy. You will have the opportunity to immerse yourself in the deeper studies of yoga and build a stronger, more flexible and balanced body, a focused, clear, and calm mind, and establish yourself in your connection to spirit.
Learning to Teach Yoga
Within the supportive community environment, you will be championed to discover your own unique gifts as a teacher and learn how to offer them with confidence and clarity. You will be encouraged and supported to step into your own power and discover your authentic voice as you share the essence of yoga, which is love.
The journey of becoming a Yoga teacher is one of profound transformation and radical self-discovery. It requires a dedicated practice, ongoing studentship, and a willingness to open to the creative impulse of life.
All sessions meet from Tuesday through Sunday
Part 1: Sep 16-21, 2014
Part 2: Dec 2-7, 2014
Part 3: Mar 10-15, 2015
Part 4: May 12-17, 2015
The course consists of four, 6-day intensives over an 8-month period with homework between segments. Each part provides in-depth training, experience, and inspiration for you to develop both your practice and knowledge of yoga and teaching skills. The pulsation of coming together in community and then returning home greatly enhances the learning process and integration of the material.
This course is registered with Yoga Alliance at the 200-hour level. Once you become certified, you may register with Yoga Alliance as a 200-hour level RYT. For an application, visit the yoga alliance website.
Assignments are given between segments to facilitate integration of the teachings. The homework constitutes an important aspect of the overall training and provides a structure of support for the learning process at home. The assignments include daily practice of asana, pranayama, and meditation, keeping a sadhana journal, weekly check-ins with study buddies, observation of other classes, practice teaching to friends, family, and/or students, required reading, written exercises, and take-home exams.
- Minimum 1 year of yoga experience with regular practice for the past six months, or by teacher’s permission.
- A sincere desire to learn, grow, open your heart, and be coached.
- Acceptance into the program is based upon approval of your application.
Yoga is a scientific art. Teaching is an endlessly creative journey. Our goal is to provide a structure that will serve as a springboard to your unique and creative expression as a teacher. During this course you will cultivate skills needed to teach a masterful and inspirational class including:
- Discover your authentic voice and unique gifts as a teacher.
- Teach with confidence, clarity, and technical precision.
- Learn elegant alignment principles that create safety and healing in poses.
- Look at postures in extensive detail including common misalignments and corrections, and use of props.
- Teach with inspirational themes and heart-oriented language that speaks directly to the heart of the student.
- Learn basic anatomy and kinesiology as related to specific yoga postures and key actions in the body.
- Explore subtle energy anatomy including chakras, nadis, kundalini, and the five koshas.
- Refine the art of observation, demonstration, and hone skillful verbal and physical adjustments.
- Learn effective and creative sequencing.
- Guide powerful introductions, centerings, and Savasana
- Study yogic philosophy, including Patanjali’s Yoga Sutras, the Bhagavad Gita, and an introduction to Tantra. Learn practical ways to integrate these teachings into a yoga class.
- Receive individual coaching and mentoring within small practice teaching groups.
- Develop conscious communication skills.
- Release blocks that hold you back and learn life-affirming skills in a safe and supportive environment.
- Learn the business of yoga including professional practices and ethics.
- Be an active member of a vibrant learning community that will support you in your endeavor towards full expression.
Refunds to persons accepted into the program are as follows:
- If you cancel more than seven days before the course begins, you will be refunded the amount paid minus a non-refundable $100 processing fee.
- If you cancel less than 7 days before the program begins, refunds (minus a non-refundable $100 processing fee) are only issued if your space can be filled from a waiting list.
- No refunds are issued once the course begins.
To receive an application: Download a PDF or download a Word doc. or contact our office, email, or mail Ashaya Yoga, P.O. Box 279, West Stockbridge, MA 01266, 413-232-7839. Additional information will be sent once your application is accepted.
Certification is based on the performance and demonstration of your teaching ability, attitude, and satisfactory completion of all assignments and exams. To become certified in this course, you must demonstrate a basic understanding and integration of the asanas, philosophy, heart language, and other teaching methodologies. When all of the above is achieved, you will be certified as an Ashaya Yoga teacher.
Additional Certification Requirements
- Must be able to perform basic asanas with integration, precision, and heart. You need to be able to demonstrate the basic benchmarks of biomechanical integration in your own body.
- Pass the written tests with a score of 90% or higher.
- Successfully complete all homework (TBA) and required reading.
- Sign the code of ethics agreement.
- Pay all fees and outstanding balances.
- Must have full attendance, participation, and a yogic attitude.
Program Venue: Lifeworks Studio, 50 Castle Street, Suite 2, Great Barrington, MA 01230.
We recommend staying in Great Barrington since you will be 5-10 minutes from the studio. While Lenox offers the lowest rates, you will be 20-25 minutes from the studio. (There are early morning sessions.) Rates are per room. If you wish to have a roommate, email our office and we willl try to find a roommate for you.
To get the discounted rates, call the motel and mention that you are with Todd Norian’s Yoga Training.
Great Barrington Accommodations:
Lantern House Motel available all 4 modules (1.9 miles from Lifeworks) 256 Stockbridge Rd, Great Barrington, MA 01230 (413) 528-2350
Sept 24-29 $75/night + tax
Dec 3-8 $60/night + tax
Mar 4-9, 2014 $60/night + tax
May 13-18, 2014 $75/night + tax
Monument Mountain Motel not available in September (1.9 miles from Lifeworks) 247 Stockbridge Road Rte 7 Great Barrington, MA 01230 (413)528-3272
Dec 3-8 – $60/night + tax, 5 night minimum
Mar 4-9, 2014 -$60/night + tax, 5 night minimum
May 13-18, 2014 -$65/night + tax, 5 night minimum
Days Inn not available in September (.3 miles from Lifeworks) 372 Main Street, Great Barrington, MA 01230 (413) 528-3150
Dec 3-8 – $70/night + tax, 5 night minimum
Mar 4-9, 2014 – $70/night + tax, 5 night minimum
May 13-18, 2014 – $89/night + tax, 5 night minimum
Apple Tree Inn, 10 Richmond Mountain Road, Lenox, MA 01240, (413) 637-1477. This inn is .5 miles from Kripalu Center and 25 minutes from Great Barrington. Mention Todd Norian for our group rate of $55 per night for a single or double room, tax is included. There is a double occupancy rate of $15/night. This rate includes a continental breakfast (consisting of orange andcranberry juice, fresh fruit, breads and bagels for toasting, homemade granola, yogurt, cold cereals, instant oatmeal, milk, coffee, and tea). The rate also includes free Internet, cable TV, and use of a community fridge during office hours only. There are no microwaves or stoves available. The rooms are quiet and you are walking distance to Kripalu Center, which serves healthy food. For more information about purchasing meal passes at Kripalu, call 413-448-3400. Apple Tree Inn has a restaurant as well.
Days Inn, 194 Pittsfield Rd, Lenox, MA 01240, 413-637-3560 (25 minutes from Great Barrington). The group rate is $39-$79 plus tax depending on the date. Mention that you are with Todd Norian. Rooms have two double beds, hair dryer, microwave, refrigerator, iron and iron board, free wi-fi, all local calls are free, all channels and HBO. Continental breakfast is from 7-10 a.m. and consists of bagels, blueberry muffins, assorted oatmeal, waffle iron, cereal, tea, juice, and coffee. You may share a room to bring the cost down. Please request a roommate at Days Inn upon registering. Laura, the Days Inn manager, will do her best to find you a roommate, but there are no guarantees. We recommend reserving a room on the backside of the inn away from the road for more quiet. To reserve your room at the discounted price, you must call the hotel directly at least 7 days prior to the start date of the program. 48 hour cancellation policy.
Schedule/Arrival and Departure Time
Each part begins with registration at 6:30 pm and the opening night session at 7:00 pm. Session times for the following days are: 7:00-8:00 am, 9:00 am – 1:00 pm and 2:30-6:30 pm with one evening session on Friday. The last day ends by 1:30 pm. Full attendance is necessary for certification. Please plan your arrival and departure times to allow enough time for transit to and from the airport without missing a session.
Meals: There are many restaurants, a health food store and a grocery store within a three-minute drive or 10-15 minute walk from Lifeworks Studio.
Things to Bring With You:
- Yoga Props: (There are some props at the training site. But to be sure you have what you need, bring your own.)
- Sticky mat (Manduka Mats, the thick black mats, are recommended. Available at Yoga Centre)
- Yoga Belt
- 2 Yoga Blocks (the thick purple blocks, not the thin ones)
- 2-3 thick gray yoga blankets (utility blankets, not Mexican blankets)
- Meditation Cushion (you may use your folded blankets instead)
- Eye Pillow (optional)
- Visit: Hugger Mugger for props or check Yoga Journal magazine for options.
- A journal or notebook and pens
- Selected required reading books (TBA)
Airports: Albany International Airport in Albany, NY, is about 68 minutes from Great Barrington. Bradley International Airport in Hartford, CT, is 80 minutes away. Contact the following limousine companies for transportation:
Albany International Airport:
- Advantage Limousine: 518-443-0100, $135 up to 3 passengers one-way.
Bradley International Airport (90 minutes from Great Barrington)
- Tobi’s Limousine: 413-637-1224, $185 one-way.
- Lindsey Limousine: 860-289-5466, $198.00 up to 3 passengers one-way.
If you’re interested in carpooling or splitting a limo, contact our office, 413-232-7839, after you’ve made your flight reservations (or before) and we’ll put you in touch with other participants seeking to share a ride.